Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Personal Note on Child Custody and Violence

After I got a satisfactory parenting schedule a few months ago, the new arrangement had a surprising side effect: the dialogue between my daughter’s mother and me has improved, a lot. Having solved what was our most important divide has relieved our relationship from what was its biggest stress generator. After the anger and frustration faded away, we have started to talk about parents are supposed to talk: school performance, eating habits, etc.

I would like to know if there are statistics relating domestic violence and child custody battles. I would dare to say that most of the so-called domestic violence, specially the type that ends up in death, does not occur in married couples living together, but is in fact violence generated by divorce and custody court procedures, and therefore, it would be significantly reduced if the court system and family laws protected the rights of both parties.

What just happened to me could serve of evidence of what the future could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG ARCHIVE